Friday, November 22, 2013

Russian Snowflake (Motif #39)

Well, winter has officially arrived in Vladivostok!

So, since there is real snow on the ground (and in the air a couple days ago) I decided to make a снежинка (snowflake)...
Motif #39 (#6 on the way to 25 by the 25th)
 Pretty! This one's headed out to someone in the US...hope it doesn't melt on the way. ;)
It's more of the DMC size 80 thread... it's amazing how long that size 80 thread lasts on the shuttle!
 I actually had some very sad news from Iowa this evening...my last grandpa passed away today. So, I'll be leaving on a jet plane here in a few days...nothing new for this weary traveler! Silver lining? I will get to meet my newest niece, celebrate Thanksgiving with my family and my nephew's 3rd birthday! Still, it's never fun to go to a funeral, especially when it's for someone you love.

Oh well, it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...I think someone said sometime in the past. :)

10 comments:

  1. I,m so sorry to hear about your grandps but it' stood that you can see a silver lining.

    Nice snowflake, which one is that in your 25? I've got 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle..this is my #6! I'm rolling right along. ;) It is going to be a challenge, but I have a few long flights ahead of me, I might manage to get some more done along the way. ;)

      Delete
  2. I am sorry to hear about your grandpa, it is never easy to lose them. But congrats on the family festivities over thanksgiving. Those are very nice snowflakes and in 80 thread. Good luck on your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It will be both a very sad and very happy trip, and totally unexpected, which is nice. It will make missing Christmas that much easier. :)

      Delete
  3. Hope you have had some good memories to keep with you always of your grandfather. Love size 80 It is fun and just makes things more special being so delicate! someone will enjoy this snowflake all the way from Russia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wonder who the snowflake and the Russian tatting book could be going to ;) :) Size 80 has been one of my favorite things about shuttle tatting--it just didn't work very well with the needle!

      Delete
  4. So sorry about the passing of your grandpa. Your snowflake is beautiful. Hope you enjoy Thanksgiving with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry that your Grandfather has passed. He gave you one last gift - a holiday and celebrations with family. God's blessings to you and your family. Karen in OR

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to hear your news, take care when travelling and hope you at least enjoy thanksgiving.
    Your Russian snowflake from the book, I made it yesterday and plan to put it on my blog when I do the snowflake every day until Christmas starting on the 1st December, that 24 different ones, I am only about half way though so I have a few more to make.
    We had some sleet the other day and it's freezing at night, but the white stuff can stay in Russia, we don't want it.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you Kristen - so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete