Monday, October 20, 2014

Some Little Nothings

Sometimes I'm too busy to tat, to blog, or both...recently it's been kind of both, but (besides my birthday cupcake) I have been pegging away at a few projects:

This is an antique motif (Snowflake) from the most recent Handy Hands newsletter, tatted in size 20 and kind of fun to execute:

And here are my attempts to learn interlocking SCMR rings (a BIG thanks to all of you with online tutorials for these techniques!!!! SCMR: Jane E and the Shuttle Brothers; Interlocking Rings: Umi & Tsuru, Muskaan, Kathy and God's Kid) in anticipation of joining the challenge to make Jane McLellan's magnificent "Under an African Sky" doily...
Size 20 (ecru), then size 30 Cebelia

Here is my best so far (for the first time all the rings interlock correctly, but of course I ran out of thread on the VERY LAST RING!!!):
Oh well...more practice :)
I have also been plugging away at a flowery Jan Stawasz pattern, one which made the rounds of Facebook a few months ago (and unfortunately seems to be readily available online in illegal .jpgs...boo to that.) Buy the book, people, it's totally worth it!

I'm actually having a bit of trouble with this pattern--tension trouble. Le sigh. I thought I was past this!

So, what's a girl to do but wet the offending doily down and pin it into submission!?

Bad doily! Stop cupping!!!


So, we'll see...

I did double-check, and I'm pretty sure I executed the pattern correctly, so it's probably more of an "I tat too tightly" issue rather than a pattern problem...??

Two rows to go, and hopefully no more tension troubles. *Hopefully.*

Finally...here's a really cool tatting-esque shirt I saw the other day--I didn't buy it (but I kind of wish I had...it's really cool!) Maybe I can figure out the pattern and make myself something similar instead...maybe!
Eh, we'll see! :)

10 comments:

  1. Wow you are doing great on those rings, I had a time with this too but I even used some of my not so good ones in the actually doily I took a little coiless safety pin to keep them in order and that helped.
    I also saw all of his patterns at intatters may be they got permission, but i do have his books they are nice!
    And finally I had a little problem with that ring thing too and did what you did but I also took a little tug to stretch just the ring before pinning it down. You may have done that to I am just talkative this morning sorry:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like your idea about using the safety pin...I might have to borrow it when I work on these again tomorrow! :) It's no problem to be talkative, I love blog comments! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, lovely tatting & learning !
    Adorable snowflake ... It does have a kind of vintage look :-)

    The tatting on the shirt is superb . But my first thought was "phew, so much Sewing to be done, to get the tatted pieces on fabric !!! "

    Since writing about my interlocking rings exercise, I finally learned God's Kid's SCMR technique and it really Is incredibly easy . I was doing it wrong - trying to get the ds part of loop to pass through previous ring ;-P
    Am very happy with how your's turned out :-) Time to move forward with Jane's doily ....waiting to see what colors you will use .

    Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I haven't decided yet about applique-ing tatting to a shirt, but it would be fairly cool...

      I am really into the interlocking rings, even though I STILL haven't managed to make a "perfect" one yet :)

      Delete
  3. I think you are doing well with the SCMR interlocking rings. I have been admiring that Stawasz pattern but haven't done anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd like to be better (actually have finished one correctly) but I'll get there :) Do try the Stawasz pattern, I'd like to see if anyone else has those pesky tension issues :)

      Delete
  4. You are doing well with the rings, I look forward to seeing your under the sun mat in due course.
    I am sure that when you the next row the mat might lay flat, sometimes this does happen until you do more rows
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. I look forward to completing rings well enough to even start on the doily! Maybe this weekend :)

      I am really hoping the Stawasz lies flat, if not I'm not sure what I'll do!!!

      Delete
  5. Great snowflake!! :)
    Great practice on interlocking rings!!! :)
    Beautiful doily!!! :)
    Neat shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you and thank you! :)

      Delete