Saturday, August 23, 2014

A Conundrum (Kind Of)

Well, I have finished the next round of the Stawasz doily but have run into kind of a conundrum. 

The photo in the book shows the completed doily encased in plastic, used as a hot plate for a cup of coffee. I did a hot plate a few years ago, and have a few empty ones left that I was going to make and give as presents...someday.  

And guess what, after round 4 the unfinished doily fits the hot plate pretty much perfectly (ps: please ignore the strings, I have been making this doily using up half-filled shuttles so there are a lot of places I have had to add thread)...

The problem is, there are still 3 rounds left to finish the doily. And I am using smaller thread than Mr. Stawasz called for, so his hot plate must be larger than mine! :)

The conundrum is, of course, whether to continue on and finish the doily or to leave it as-is and give the hotplate to someone as a gift. 

As an anal perfectionist (and one who likes to finish things once started), I am pretty sure I already have an answer to the conundrum--I will finish the doily, considering it a practice piece, and then make another, better one as a gift...someday.

That is what I will do, but it is awfully tempting to snip the theads and leave it, I think it looks so nice...

But then I wouldn't have finished my first Jan Stawasz doily, and that would be a conundrum in itself. :)

14 comments:

  1. It is beautiful and does look complete, with its frame like that. If the cap fits....???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started on the next round while my DH was napping today and he was quite confused why we didn't have a new hot plate when he woke up. I want to finish this doily but I am pretty sure I will be re-doing it at some point in the future...we all need more hot plates, right? :)

      Delete
  2. I think is is beautiful, and I kinda know what you mean I made a doily that is too small and wanted to add more to it and thought, wonder if the artiste cares if I add to this, and then post it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I decided to soldier on, and will be happy when it is done :)

      Delete
  3. Oh goodness, it looks so perfect in there...but I know exactly what you mean about wanting to finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was amazed at how well it fits! I decided to continue on, but I think I might try to re-do the doily in size 80 to see if the whole thing fits in the hot plate...or just redo it in size 30 again, because it is amazingly perfect!! :)

      Delete
  4. My anal-perfectionist feels the pain of your a-p! It looks great! : ))

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a question, to be honest it fits nicely into the hot plate and therefore would it be better to leave as it, and then start another one as you have which will work even better now you are used to the pattern
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, so maybe I should have followed your advice, I decided to go on and am now slogging my way through the rest of the pattern...so ready for something new! (But I think this is too perfect of a pattern to not redo for the pot holder, too!)

      Delete
  6. Looks great! I think I would have left as-is and started the new one in a smaller thread but you will be happier if you do what satisfies your anal retentiveness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. :) I finished it, but am still sad my pot holder is empty...so I'll probably remake it "perfectly" now that I know how well it fits inside. :)

      Delete